Released March, 2007
The Pros:Quality build. Good performance for the price. Wood finish.
The Cons:Require a good amp or powerful receiver. Works best at high volumes.
The B&W 684 is the smaller of two floorstanding main speakers in Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) affordable high-end 600 series of home audio speakers. These speakers are ideal for a hi-fi or home cinema system in a medium to large sized room.
There is a pair of 6.5" woven Kevlar cones; the lower of the two is dedicated to bass frequencies which frees the upper bass/midrange cone to handle the midrange frequencies with a crisper and clearer response that you might expect from a smaller cone. Also, the incorporated fixed centre bullet helps smooth the response into upper frequencies. There is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter located above the two kevlar cones, which handles the high frequencies. The tweeter is contained in a Nautilus tapering tube, which is designed to only project sound through a hollow pole magnet frontwards, and is tapered towards the rear to eliminate reflections off the rear of the cabinet producing unwanted sound effects. The B&W 684 is avaialable in four vinyl finishes: black ash, light oak (not available in USA/Canada), red cherry and wengé; and comes with a removable black cloth grill. The B&W 684 is $550 per speaker, and is also sold as the main front L/R speakers in the B&W 684 home theatre system.
- Crossover Tuning
- Nautilus tube loaded aluminium dome tweeter
- 2½ -way vented-box system
- 1x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar cone bass/mid
- 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar cone bass
- Frequency range: -6dB at 34Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency response: 44Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Horizontal Dispersion Within 2dB of reference response: over 60º arc
- Vertical Dispersion Within 2dB of reference response: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity: 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic distortion: 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m) ( <1% 90Hz - 22kHz , <0.5% 120Hz - 20kHz)
- Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms (minimum 3.0 Ohms)
- Crossover frequencies: 150Hz, 4kHz
- Crossover Filters: 1st Order – tweeter , 1st Order – bass/midrange , 1st Order – bass
- Recommended amplifier power: 25W - 150W into 8 Ohms on unclipped programme
- Max. recommended cable impedance: 0.1 Ohms
- Height: 910mm/35.8" (not including plinth or feet)
- Width: 198mm/7.8
- Depth: 300mm/11.8
- Net weight: 18.2kg (40.1lb)
- Finishes (vinyl): Black Ash, Light Oak (not available in US/Canada), Red Cherry, Wengé Vinyl
- Removable black cloth grill
User Reviews (14)
Good performance for the price
Variety of finish colours
Require a good amp or powerful receiver
Works best at high volumes
You may also like...